With worldwide demand for soya increasing steadily over recent years, the price of soya has increased steadily with it. Huge demand from China and South East Asia, as well as bio-fuels use, and increasing demand for GM free Soya, have all served to more than double the price of soya beans in the last five years. There is huge market demand here in the UK, and with new varieties and our extensive knowledge of the crop, Soya UK are well placed to provide for this market. We can offer contracts for both conventional and organic growers in the southern half of the UK.
- Seed Production.
- Identity Preserved.
Crop values remain high, and growers on light land in the South can grow this late-sown crop.
Why grow Soya?
- Excellent, low input break crop.
- Late sowing offers flexibility in the rotation.
- Minimal pest & disease problems.
- Opportunity to clear up persistent weed problems, especially grass weeds.
- Leaves high nitrogen legacy for following crop.
- Easy to combine, leaves no trash, does not lodge, shed or split.
- No volunteer problems in following crop.
- There is a HUGE market for our UK grown, non-GM Soya varieties.
New varieties for UK Soya production are now available. Our flagship variety Elena has been bred with the emphasis being on yield, standing ability and earliness. In 2011 we also introduced the new variety Pripyat and in 2016 we are introducing the new variety Siverka.
Seed is available either single purpose dressed or as re-cleaned only for organic growers.
Pre-inoculated Seed Exclusively from Soya UK
Soya UK now offers all Soya seed as pre-inoculated seed.
This system simplifies the drilling operation by avoiding the need for the grower to inoculate the seed in the drill with separate sachets of rhizobium inoculant and will allow growers of larger areas to take seed in 500kg bags, ready to go into the drill.
Since 2007, this has been our standard system, and remains exclusive to Soya UK Ltd, although seed is still available for situations where the use of sachets is preferable. Pre-inoculated seed is available in either 500kg or 25kg bags.
Call us on
|Soya UK Resources|
|Watch Soya videos|
|Soya Contracts PDF (216 kb)|
You can download more information about benefits for using Soya, its agronomy and contracts available. [To view PDF documents you will need a version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.]
Soya agronomy is well established and straightforward. Much depends on selecting the correct variety in the first place and then following the advice below:
- Sow in late April/ Early May.
- Apply pre-emergence chemical.
- Spray broadleaved weeds with post-emergence herbicide, usually around 5 weeks from sowing in late May.
- Possible inclusion of a fungicide with this post-emergence herbicide to guard against sclerotinia in thick crops.
- Apply a graminicide 2 weeks later if grass weeds are a problem (e.g. wild oats, barren brome, black grass, etc).
- Apply a desiccant prior to harvest.